Thursday, January 27, 2011 @5:20:07 PM
Hey, it only took a few years, but we finally got around to it! Go to Members>Groups to start using the new groups feature.
The main mission of "groups" is simple: let Hangout members form interactive communities based on shared interests.
A quick introduction to groups:
- Members can now create and join groups. Groups can be "open" (meaning everyone who wants to join can) or "approval required" (meaning an administrator has to approve your request to join).
- Members of groups can link site content to a group--"tagging" it for a particular group. All content on the site can be linked to groups, including forum topics, blog posts, photos, MP3s, videos, classified ads, etc.
- Members can post to, and comment on, the group blog.
- Being notified of new group content is easy. Each group has an RSS feed of linked content, plus group members can choose from various subscription options so they can be notified via email of new group content if they wish.
- Group administrators can send PMs to all group members.
If you have any suggestions, or find any bugs, feel free to post them in the Web Site Problems or Suggestions forums.
Enjoy! Go forth and group!