Violin rope binding, copied from a vintage German workshop fiddle. Pieces are approx. 8.5 cm long.
white wood is maple, dark wood is ebonized walnut.
Glued with white glue. To install, I:
* cut piece to length and to fit in with the remaining binding.
* heat the strip in my hide glue water bath (my crock pot ) for 20-30 seconds
* remove from water, check the fit again
* apply hot hide glue to binding mortice and to binding strip
* place the binding
* (NOTE - some of the individual bars may separate according to how long immersed in hot water and the curvature of the
binding area that is being fitted. In my experience, this is usually correctable during the next step)
* clamp. I usually wind several rubber bands around the binding & the body of the fiddle. If the wood strip is still wet & warm from the immersion, this usually corrects any separation of the bars).
* Allow to dry thoroughly
* Rough shape the binding with a Dremel drill barrel sander
* fine sand
* stain to match body. I find that many dark German workshop fiddles are well-matched by Minwax "Gunstock" stain (#231)
* finish (I use multiple coats of thin shellac)
1 pc = $4
2 pc = $7
3 pc = $10
5 pc = $16
10 pc = $30
United States, Centre Hall, PA, 16828
usually $1 or less
Check/Money Order, Cash (in person), Paypal
Payment Option Notes:
See comments for prices for multiple pieces.
Returns accepted. Buyer must contact seller within 30 days to arrange return. Refund will be given as Money Back. Buyer pays return shipping.
Condition of Item(s):
This ad will automatically expire 6/3/2019 2:42:15 AM unless updated before that date. To keep the system current, ads expire if not updated for more than 60 days.
'Shoulder rests' 5 hrs
'Clifftop 2019' 1 day
'Tin Fiddles.' 3 days
'Tom Cattin'' 3 days
'The Long Bow' 4 days
'Scollay's Reel' 6 days