Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

34
Fiddle Lovers Online


Discussion Forum

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

 All Forums
 Other Fiddle-Related Topics
 Other Fiddle-Related Topics
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: Ideas for Transposing Tunes


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.fiddlehangout.com/archive/55173

soppinthegravy - Posted - 04/30/2021:  21:41:44


Anybody ever tried playing Henry Reed's "Billy in the Low Land" in C or J.D. Harris's "Grey Eagle" in A?

pete_fiddle - Posted - 05/01/2021:  02:21:57


i learned a BG sort of version of "Billy In The Lowground" in C, i thought that was the standard key to play it in?


Edited by - pete_fiddle on 05/01/2021 02:22:53

rosinhead - Posted - 05/01/2021:  03:43:28


quote:

Originally posted by pete_fiddle

i learned a BG sort of version of "Billy In The Lowground" in C, i thought that was the standard key to play it in?






You are correct that "Billy In The Lowground" is typically played in C.  However, he is asking about Henry Reed's "Billy In The Low Land"....different tune and Henry played it in the key of G.



Here is the LOC recording.



loc.gov/item/afcreed000096/

carlb - Posted - 05/01/2021:  04:09:06


I play with a few folks who are partial to the key of C. However, the banjo players play D tunes which end up in C. So I can now play the following in C:
Arkansas Traveler
Peacock Rag
Chinese Breakdown
Paddy Won't You Drink Some Good Old Cider
Pig Ankle Rag
,
I also play Valley Forge in A, as Ramona Jones originally played it, as well as in D (whoever decided to change it from A to D).

soppinthegravy - Posted - 05/01/2021:  14:41:08


Oops. Uncle Am Stuart's "Grey Eagle" would probably work better in A than Harris's.


quote:

Originally posted by soppinthegravy

Anybody ever tried playing Henry Reed's "Billy in the Low Land" in C or J.D. Harris's "Grey Eagle" in A?






 


Edited by - soppinthegravy on 05/01/2021 14:41:32

soppinthegravy - Posted - 05/01/2021:  15:04:49


I'm just going to leave this on here for a while so y'all can hear what this idea sounds like. "Low Land" transposed with "Low Ground" chords. fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/me...archived= 


quote:

Originally posted by rosinhead

quote:

Originally posted by pete_fiddle

i learned a BG sort of version of "Billy In The Lowground" in C, i thought that was the standard key to play it in?






You are correct that "Billy In The Lowground" is typically played in C.  However, he is asking about Henry Reed's "Billy In The Low Land"....different tune and Henry played it in the key of G.



Here is the LOC recording.



loc.gov/item/afcreed000096/






 

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.046875