Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

83
Fiddle Lovers Online


Discussion Forum

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

 All Forums
 Other Fiddle-Related Topics
 Sound Off! (for Fiddle Audio File Posts)
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: Ragtime Annie for Square Dance


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.fiddlehangout.com/archive/51114

soppinthegravy - Posted - 05/12/2019:  21:37:30


Thoughts on this as square dance music? I tried to play long enough for the average local square dances, which last roughly 3-5 minutes.
fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/me...archived=

Fiddler - Posted - 05/14/2019:  07:27:02


quote:

Originally posted by soppinthegravy

Thoughts on this as square dance music? I tried to play long enough for the average local square dances, which last roughly 3-5 minutes.

fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/me...archived=






Good job! I think it is perfectly fine for a square dance. The tempo might be to brisk for some, but just right for others. The length of 3-5 minutes for a dance might be common for your area. The dances I have fiddled run 10-18 minutes. These were social/non-performance dances. Performance dances are usually shorter.  

soppinthegravy - Posted - 05/14/2019:  07:36:06


Thanks. Also, regarding the dancers, You hit the nail right on the head. Mostly performance-based troupes remain, and they're used to 5 minutes. That, and the old folks who went to the real-deal community dances back in the day don't have the endurance they had in their youth. 


quote:

Originally posted by Fiddler

quote:

Originally posted by soppinthegravy

Thoughts on this as square dance music? I tried to play long enough for the average local square dances, which last roughly 3-5 minutes.

fiddlehangout.com/myhangout/me...archived=






Good job! I think it is perfectly fine for a square dance. The tempo might be to brisk for some, but just right for others. The length of 3-5 minutes for a dance might be common for your area. The dances I have fiddled run 10-18 minutes. These were social/non-performance dances. Performance dances are usually shorter.  






 


Edited by - soppinthegravy on 05/14/2019 07:40:47

ChickenMan - Posted - 05/14/2019:  10:09:39


That is a fine tune for dancing. Some observations: there is a tendency for you to cut the end of the tune parts short, noticeably from A to B part. The latter half of the B phrases seem to rush a tiny bit. Both of these are small but noticeable when tapping the foot along with your playing. Tempo seems otherwise to be a good clip for clogging/flat footing.

soppinthegravy - Posted - 05/14/2019:  21:24:22


Thanks. That helps. I believe this is pretty much what my melody was most of the time through. Would you mind marking the bars or phrases you're talking about and sending that notation back to me so I can better understand what parts need improvement?


quote:

Originally posted by ChickenMan

That is a fine tune for dancing. Some observations: there is a tendency for you to cut the end of the tune parts short, noticeably from A to B part. The latter half of the B phrases seem to rush a tiny bit. Both of these are small but noticeable when tapping the foot along with your playing. Tempo seems otherwise to be a good clip for clogging/flat footing.






 


Edited by - soppinthegravy on 05/14/2019 21:26:36


Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.078125